How to Overcome Corruption
There is a disease lurking that seeks to lure us all away from faithful devotion to God. Promoting worldliness instead of godliness, many are led away. Difficult times are coming, friends. Are you ready? Can you discern what is happening even now? God help us to stand firm in His truth, to know how to avoid corruption by recognizing it all around us and living the truth.
Bible Reading of the Day: 2 Timothy 3-4
We fade away by degrees as we leave a crack in the door and lie to ourselves about our ability to withstand temptation. We slip into godlessness and worldliness when we put confidence in self and our own understanding instead of in God’s word. Being cool is being a fool, as I told my children when they were growing up. The more we grow comfortable in this world, the less we look like Jesus.
Paul is urging Timothy to stay on guard. Corruption is all around us. We have to be diligent.
Scripture of the Day: 2 Timothy 3:1-5
“You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!”
How to Overcome Corruption—Principles to Live By
How to overcome corruption ourselves is hard when we are to be in the world but not of it. This world seduces man to follow the flesh. But we have not been left without help. We have the Holy Spirit. And Paul has given some encouragement to help us avoid being corrupted.
- 2 Tim 3:10 “But you have followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, and endurance.” It is not just hearing but following. Like the game of “Follow the Leader”, we have to trust the leader and mimic the actions.
- 2 Tim 3: 12 “In fact, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” It will not be easy to follow and to be godly. This world does not understand. We will be persecuted even from within the church. Why do we read the Bible so much? Why do we do this or that? It is when we recognize the wickedness that we are capable of that we avoid corruption as we draw nearer to God and don’t miss time with Him.
- 2 Tim. 3:14 “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed. You know those who taught you, 15 and you know that from infancy you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
How to Overcome Corruption—Continue
Did you catch the secret? Continue. Keep on keepin’ on. Press on in the calling of God to know Him and make Him known. Don’t let discouragement stop you dead in your tracks. Don’t cave to worldliness and sin. Keep the truth before you and use it to live this one life well.
- If we are not resisting evil, we are giving into it.
- Don’t make space for corruption. Fight it with God’s word.
7-Fold One-Year Bible Reading Plan
Day #252: 2 Timothy 3-4
Scripture of the Day: 2 Timothy 3:1-5
Join me live at 8am ET: www.facebook.com/deniseduboispass
Bible Reading Plan: https://denisepass.com/bible-reading-plan/#SeeingDeep #BibleInAYear