Good Morning! Welcome to Day Fifty-Four! Words fly off the tongue faster than we can hold them back sometimes. But the fact that we will be accountable for each one humbles me to want to speak wisely.
Bible Reading: Job 15-16
Verse of the day: Job 15:3, “Should he argue with useless talk, Or with words which do not benefit?”
Word of the day: Talk. It is the Hebrew word: דָּבָר (daw-baw’).
This word means: Speech, words
Job’s Friends Offer Many Words
Eliphaz is hurling accusations Job’s direction over the content of his words. I think in times of suffering we probably can say things we don’t intend.
What Does God Say About Our Words?
I thought it would be good to say what God’s word has to say about our words.
- Proverbs 18:21 ESV, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.”
- Ephesians 4:29 ESV, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”
- Proverbs 12:18 ESV, “There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
- Matthew 12:36 ESV, “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak.”
- Proverbs 15:1 ESV, “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
- Proverbs 16:24 ESV, “Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.”
- Proverbs 21:23 ESV, “Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.”
- Proverbs 15:4 ESV, “A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.”
- James 1:26 ESV, “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.”
- Proverbs 13:3 ESV, “Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.
How Should We Live?
God’s desire that is our words be acceptable in His sight. For that to happen, we must meditate on His words first so they become ours.
- Make your words count for righteousness.
- Speak life. Speak truth with grace. Don’t gossip or slander or tear down.
Go with God and His precious word, friends! Join us tomorrow in the book of Matthew.